Checklist of Birds of Karnataka
Dr. Uday Veer Singh, IFS (Indian Forest Service) and Ameen Ahmed; Karnataka Birds
This checklist has been prepared by collating sightings from 11 documents, including:
1. George.J. Annotated checklist of the birds of Bangalore $, Birdwatchers’ field club of Bangalore, 1994
2. Ameen Ahmed, K.Yekanthappa.,I.F.S. Birds of Bandipur National Park
3. Unknown authors. Checklist of birds of Billigiri Ranganathaswamy Temple (BRT) Wildlife Sanctuary.
4. Rev.G.Richter and S.U.Kamath. Gazetteers of Coorg / Kodagu district (1870 & 1993)
5. Geetha Nayak.K., Prabhakar Achar.K. A field guide to the Birds of Dakshina Kannada, Bhuvanendra Nature Club, Karkala (South India), 2000.
6. Chakravarthy.A.K., Purna Chandra Tejaswi.K.P. Birds of Hilly regions of Karnataka. Navbharat Enterprises, 1992
7. Ali, Salim (1942 – 43). The Birds of Mysore (with notes from Hugh Whistler) in 5 parts, JBNHS 43(2):130-147; 43(3):318-341; 43(4):573-595; 44(1):9-26; 4(2):206-220
8. Ameen Ahmed, Wildlife Aware Nature Club (WANC). Checklist of birds of Tumkur District. Unpublished
9. Daniels.R.J.R. Bird Community of Uttara Kannada, 1989.
10. Ali.S., Dillon Ripley.S. Compact Handguide to the birds of India and Pakistan.
11. Grimmet Richard.,Inskipp.Carol and Inskipp.Tim. Birds of the Indian Subcontinent, 1998.
Key to Checklist:
* indicates a distinct subspecies
"A. The following is a list of the 512 species and 9 sub-species / races of birds recorded from Karnataka.
The number on the left is the serial number of the checklist, while the one after that is the Ripley’s number - according to `A Pictorial Handguide to the birds of Indian Sub-continent’ (Salim Ali and S.Dillon Ripley, BNHS-OUP,1996). Common names of each species as mentioned in PG and recent field guides have been included, to minimise any confusion. "
B. There are some species sighted by some authors but whose distribution falls outside the geographical range of Karnataka. These species are listed below, with their source(s). It becomes essential to reconfirm these sightings.
C. The following is a list of birds which have been sighted by some author/s but whose corresponding names are not found in Salim Ali’s Compact Handguide to the Birds of the Indian sub-continent (used as the standard reference here) or whose given common names do not correspond with the scientific names in the standard reference.
Other sites with the same checklist: http://www.birdskerala.com/uploadedfiles/bird_list/bird_list_19.pdf; http://www.monsoons.ca/birdschecklist.htm
For more on Karnataka: http://wapedia.mobi/en/karnatak; http://wapedia.mobi/en/karnatak